Air Hostesses/Flight Stewards are well paid Aviation professionals. Air Hostess/Cabin Crew training courses can help one take up this profession. Along with good salary, this profession also involves lot of travel and other perks also! In this article, you will be reading about how one may become an Air Hostess/Flight Steward after 10th standard. Details about training courses, eligibility criteria, career prospects and salary have also been provided here.
10th standard passed students have numerous questions regarding Air Hostess training. Some such queries are- ‘How to become an Air Hostess after 10th standard?’, ‘Which course to study after 10th to become an Air Hostess?’ and ‘Is it possible to become an Air Hostess/Flight Steward after 10th?’. You’ll find correct answers to these questions below. And to top it all, I’ve provided a good career path that interested students may follow!
Table of Contents
- Is is possible to become an Air Hostess/Flight Steward right after 10th?
- List of Air Hostess training courses in India
- Air Hostess scope & jobs
Is is possible to become an Air Hostess/Flight Steward right after 10th?
Eligibility: 10+2 passed is the minimum educational qualification required. Airlines usually prefer Graduates or Diploma holders. Graduates possessing Degree or Diploma related to the fields like Hospitality, Travel and Tourism Management, Aviation and Aviation Management are preferred by Airlines!
Along with the educational qualifications mentioned above, candidates must also satisfy the below mentioned physical and medical standards too-
Physical Standards required to become an air hostess-
- Minimum height requirement is 157 cm (for females) and 170 cm (for males). This requirement may differ from one airline to another.
- Weight of the candidate should be in proportion to his/her weight.
- Spotless skin complexion will give candidates an edge.
- Candidate has to be physically fit.
Medical Standards required to become an air hostess-
- Eyesight requirements- minimum eyesight requirement is 6/9. Many airlines allow candidates to correct eyesight and make it 20/20!
- Candidate shouldn’t have had history of mental illness in the past.
- Candidate should not be suffering from serious Cardiovascular disease.
Age limit for air hostess admission/training
Candidate must be between 17-25 years of age. Note: Age relaxation may exist in some training institutes.
If you possess the below mentioned qualities and/or skills, it is safe to conclude that this profession will suit you. In short, possessing the below mentioned traits will help you make it big in this profession-
- Smart and dynamic personality.
- Politeness and helping nature.
- Good communication skills.
- Fluency in foreign languages.
- Pleasant personality.
- Marital status- unmarried (not applicable in case of all airlines).
- Presence of mind and quick thinking.
- Leadership and team working capability.
List of Air Hostess training courses in India
Usually there are 3 formats in which air hostess training courses are available in India- Certificate, Diploma and Degree. Many times, Airlines just recruit eligible graduates and provide them with the required training!
Here’s a list of well known courses that will help you become an Air Hostess-
|Sr No||Name of the course||Type of the course|
|1||Air Hostess training (certification)||Certificate|
|2||Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant (certification)||Certificate|
|3||Flight Purser (certification)||Certificate|
|4||Aviation Management and Hospitality (certification)||Certificate|
|5||Aviation Customer Service (certification)||Certificate|
|6||Airlines Hospitality (certification)||Certificate|
|7||Hospitality and Air travel Management (certification)||Certificate|
|8||Airline Passenger Service (certification)||Certificate|
|9||Diploma in Air Hostess training||Diploma|
|10||Diploma in Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant training||Diploma|
|11||Diploma in Aviation and Hospitality Management||Diploma|
|12||Diploma in Aviation Customer Care||Diploma|
|13||PG Diploma in International Airline and Travel Management||Advanced Diploma|
|14||B.Sc. in Air Hostess training||Bachelor’s Degree|
|15||B.Sc. Aviation (graduates may become Air Hostess/Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant after training offered by the Airlines)||Bachelor’s Degree|
|16||Bachelor of Hospitality and Travel Management (graduates may become Air Hostess/Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant after training offered by the Airlines)||Bachelor’s Degree|
|17||Bachelor of Travel and Tourism Management (graduates may become Air Hostess/Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant after training offered by the Airlines)||Bachelor’s Degree|
|18||Degree in International Airline and Travel Management (graduates may become Air Hostess/Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant after training offered by the Airlines)||Bachelor’s Degree|
Career paths to become an air hostess in India
There are three career paths available in front of aspirants. Let us check them out-
- Pursue air hostess training right after 12th and apply for a job
- Complete Graduation, undergo training and then apply for a job
- Complete Graduation (relevant) and the directly apply for a job
Airlines usually hire air hostesses on the basis of skills and aptitude. The selection process usually consists of written test and set of interviews.
You may also check – Courses after 12th arts stream in India
Air Hostess scope & jobs
Duties of an Air Hostess/Flight steward include-
- Taking care of in-flight announcements and inter department coordination.
- Ensuring safety of passengers.
- Ensuring comfort of passengers
- Helping passengers on board, assisting them with their luggage, seats etc
- Providing food, reading material, blankets and other such items to passengers
- Explaining safety procedures to passengers
- Assisting passengers during times of emergency/distress
Some of the well known recruiters are-
- Air India
- Jet Airways
- Virgin Atlantic
- Emirates Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- British Airways
- Cathay Pacific
Salary of an Air Hostess depends on a number of factors such as- type of Airlines (Government operated/Private/Domestic/International), work experience, profile of the institute (from which course has been pursued) etc.
Domestic airlines pay very less in comparison to international airlines. When it comes to Government carrier, the pay will be based on the Grade pay guidelines. Generally, in case of domestic airlines, starting salary is in the region of 20-40k Rupees per month. Starting salary in case of international airlines is generally around 50k rupees per month or more. Please note that the above mentioned salary figures are revised by the authorities periodically and are thus subjected to change!Share this awesome article!