Do you want to build a rewarding career in the sports sector? If yes, this article will be of help to you. You will be reading about sports courses and careers in this article. Some of the courses mentioned in this article can be pursued after 12th standard. Some other courses listed here are PG courses.
While talking about career in the sports sector, the first thing that comes to our mind is the prospect of becoming a professional athlete. Professional athletes play a sport full time.
Also check –
Forensic science courses in India
Sports persons usually take a specific sport and make it their area of expertise. Some of the popular sports in India are – Cricket, Football, Badminton, Boxing, Volleyball, Basketball, Archery, Shooting, Weightlifting, Wrestling, Swimming, Squash, Tennis, Hockey, Gymnastics etc.
As I mentioned before, professional athletes / sports persons play a specific sport full time. They represent our country at international events and also take part in national and state level sporting events.
Sports persons usually have very short sporting careers. Despite it being a short career, they earn money, respect and popularity.
Enough of this professional athlete thing now! Apart from that, sports sector also offers other job profiles and opportunities. Some such job profiles are – sports coach / instructor, manager (sports management), sports journalist, sports medicine professional, sports nutritionist, referee etc.
In short, career in sports is not just limited to becoming a professional athlete. There are many allied fields such as – sports journalism, sports medicine, sports management, sports coaching, sports match officiating etc.
- LIST OF SPORTS COURSES AFTER 12TH & GRADUATION IN INDIA
BECOMING A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE / SPORTS PERSON in INDIA
If you want to become a professional sports person, it is better to start early. The first step will be to select a sport that suits your skills and natural talent.
There are various Government bodies and private organizations that are keen to develop the sporting talent in India. SAI (Sports Authority of India) is probably the most popular Government organization responsible for scouting and training sporting talents in India.
Students may make use of different scholarships offered by SAI. Students may resort to SAI or other state level organizations after completing 10+2 or even before that.
Sports enthusiasts may start playing the sport at the lowest level and gradually rise through the levels. Some of the prominent levels are – amateur level, district level, state level and finally the national level.
Enthusiasts may take help of local sports management bodies and organizations while performing at district level. State sports bodies can be approached while preparing for state level events. Once a sports person leaves his/her mark at the national level, SAI will probably come knocking at the door!
To become a successful sports person, you should have the following qualities –
- Love and passion for the game / sport
- Discipline and focus
- Stamina and strength
- Natural talent (sport-specific)
Let us check out the list of sports courses in India –
LIST OF SPORTS COURSES AFTER 12TH & GRADUATION IN INDIA
There are 2 main types of sports courses available in India –
- Undergraduate (UG) courses
- Postgraduate (PG) courses
The above mentioned courses are available in formats like – Diploma courses, Degree courses and Doctoral Degree courses. Let us check them out.
1 BACHELOR’S DEGREE SPORTS COURSES
- Bachelor of Physical Education (B.P.Ed.)
- B.Sc. in Sports Science and Nutrition
- B.Sc. in Physical Education and Sports Science
- B.Sc. in Sports Science
- BBA in Sports Management
- Bachelor of Sports Management
- BA in Sports Management
2 MASTER’S DEGREE SPORTS COURSES
- Master of Physical Education (M.P.Ed.)
- M.Sc. in Sports Science
- M.Sc. in Physical Education and Sports Science
- MBA in Sports Management
- Master of Sports Management
- M.Sc. in Sports Science and Nutrition
- MBA in Sports Business
3 PG DIPLOMA SPORTS COURSES
- PG Diploma in Sports Medicine
- PG Diploma in Sports Science and Nutrition
- PG Diploma in Sports Coaching
- PG Diploma in Sports Journalism
- PGDM in Sports Business
- PGDM in Sports Management
4 DOCTORAL DEGREE SPORTS COURSES
- PhD in Physical Education
- PhD in Sports Management
- Undergraduate level courses can be pursued after completing 12th standard.
- Post Graduate courses (Degree and Diploma) can be pursued after completing relevant Bachelor’s Degree course.
- Doctoral Degree courses can be pursued after completing relevant Master’s level course.
Some of the popular courses offering the above mentioned courses are –
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education and Sports Science
- Dhyan Chand Sports College
- Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education, Thiruvananthapuram
- Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management
- NCA, Bangalore
- Gujarat University
CAREER PROSPECTS AND JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Sports and its allied fields offers the following job profiles –
- Sports person
- Instructor or Coach
- Team Doctor
- Sports nutritionist
- Sports journalist
- Sports photographer
- Sports event manager
- Physical education teacher
- Team director
- Team manager
Common recruiters include –
- Sports franchises
- Armed Forces
- Various Government Departments (Police, Railways etc)