In this article, we will have an in-depth analysis of Diploma in Agriculture course. It is a job oriented Diploma course. This article covers topics like – course details, duration, eligibility criteria, admission process, colleges and career prospects.
Diploma in Agriculture course can be pursued by students who have completed 10th standard. It is a 2 years long academic program. Each academic year is usually divided into two semesters.
Here’s the course overview –
- Type of course: Diploma
- Duration: 2 years (4 semesters)
- Eligibility criteria: 10th passed (minimum qualification)
Let us check out the basic details about Diploma in Agriculture course –
Diploma in Agriculture – An introduction
As the name suggests, this Diploma course focuses on the discipline of agriculture. Agricultural practices have evolved over time. Earlier, we used to rely less on technology and more on manual labour.
With time, technology has advanced. It has influenced our agricultural practices too! We now rely on agricultural machinery, fertilizers, pesticides and concepts of biology to boost our agricultural productivity.
Diploma in Agriculture course focuses on the above topics. It deals with the various forms of technology (machinery, chemicals, seeds etc) that helps us improve agricultural productivity.
In short, the course focuses on broad topics such as – biology, agriculture and technology. Apart from that, the course also deals with allied areas such as – horticulture, poultry farming, meteorology etc.
Diploma in Agriculture: Course details
Type of course
It is Diploma program
The academic program is 2 years long. Each year is divided into 2 semesters. The entire academic program has 4 semesters.
Students must have passed 10th standard from a recognized board. Minimum aggregate marks required is 50%.
Well known institutes rely on merit based admission process. Merit marks scored by students in polytechnic entrance or other relevant entrance test is taken into consideration. Seats are allotted to deserving candidates on the basis of merit score obtained in the respective entrance test.
Diploma in Agriculture Colleges / Institutes
In India, Diploma in Agriculture course is offered by both private and government operated institutes. Agricultural Universities, Polytechnic Institutes and other technical education institutes are known to offer this academic program in India.
Diploma in Agriculture Syllabus
- Introduction to Agriculture
- Principles of Agronomy
- Field Crop Production (Kharif)
- Fundamentals of Soil Science
- Fundamentals of Entomology
- Economic Botany
- Principles of Horticulture
- Communication Skills
- Crop Production
- Soil Chemistry
- Principles of Insect Control
- Plant Pathology
- Live stock and Poultry Production
- Basics of Agricultural Engineering
- Principles of Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Meteorology
- Organic Farming and Sustainable Agriculture
- Plant Nutrition, Manures and Fertilizers
- Principles of Genetics
- Pests and Pest Control
- Diseases of Field Crops
- Dairy Cattle and Buffalo Production and Management
- Production Technology of Fruit Crops
- Water Management
- Weed Management
- Diseases of Fruit and Vegetable Crops
- Crop Physiology
- Pests of Fruit and Vegetable Crops and their Management
- Production Technology of Vegetable Crops
- Post Harvest Technology
- Basics of Computer Application
- Farming Systems and Farm Management
- Agriculture Statistics
- Plant Breeding
- Agricultural Microbiology
- Basics of Soil and Water Conservation and Engineering
- Seed Production Technology
- Green house Technology
- Educational Tour
Career prospects and job opportunities
Diploma in Agriculture course passed candidates have access to private as well as government sector jobs. This qualification is enough to secure entry level jobs in both these sectors.
Since the course deals with agriculture and its allied areas, the common recruiters include –
- Food production firms
- Government Agricultural Boards
- Private fertilizer manufacturing firms
- Government fertilizer manufacturing firms
- Agriculture machinery manufacturing firms