In this article, we will have an in-depth analysis of Mechanic Agricultural Machinery trade offered by ITIs. It is a job oriented vocational trade. This article covers topics such as trade details, duration, syllabus, admission process and career prospects.
ITIs (Industrial Training Institutes) in India are offering some of the best vocational courses out there. Mechanic Agricultural Machinery trade/course is one such job oriented vocational ITI course.
ITI Mechanic Agricultural Machinery Course: An Introduction
Technology has improved agricultural productivity in our country. We now rely on tools, equipment and machines such as tractors, power tillers, pumps, motors, sprayers, drillers etc to boost agricultural productivity.
It is safe to say that our dependence on machinery and tools has increased, when it comes to agriculture. With time, machines and tools tend to wear out. There arises a need to install, examine, operate, repair and maintain them!
ITI Mechanic Agricultural Machinery course deals with these topics – installing, repairing and maintaining agricultural machinery.
Mechanic Agricultural Machinery trade consists of elements of mechanics. It focuses extensively on agricultural machinery though.
It is a 2 years long course. 10th passed students (with science and mathematics subjects) are eligible to pursue this course. At the end of training, successful candidates are awarded Vocational Training certificates related to this trade.
ITI Mechanic Agricultural Machinery course trains students in areas such as –
- Installing various agricultural machinery
- Service, repair and maintain various agricultural machinery
- Service, repair, maintain and operate tractors
- Dismantle engines and their parts
- Weld, braze and solder parts
In short, the course trains students and turn them into skilled mechanics, mechanics who have specialized knowledge about agricultural machinery.
ITI Mechanic Agricultural Machinery Course: Overview
- Duration: 2 years
- Eligibility criteria: 10th passed with science and mathematics subjects
- Type of course: ITI Vocational training
Let us check out the basic course details now –
Type of course
It is a Vocational Training Certificate course.
10th pass (under 10+2 scheme of schooling, with science and maths subjects) is the minimum qualification required to pursue this course.
Institutes and admission process
Many private and government operated ITIs across India are offering Mechanic Agricultural Machinery trade. Most of them rely on merit based admission process. Some ITIs are also known to rely on direct admission process.
The syllabus can roughly be divided into two parts –
- Trade theory
- Trade practical
Important trade theory subjects –
- Introduction to the trade
- Occupational safety and health
- Hand and power tools
- Systems of measurement
- Cutting tools
- Limits, fits and tolerances
- Drilling machine
- Taps and dies
- Hand reamers
- Sheet metal
- Basic electricity
- Basic electronics
- Introduction to welding and heat treatment
- Introduction to hydraulics and pneumatic
- Auto industry
Important trade practical subjects –
- Familiarization with the trade and institute
- Practical related to safety and first aid
- Practice using all marking aids
- Measuring practice
- Practice on cleaning, checking and use of nut
- Practice on marking and drilling
- Practice on making rectangular tray
- Practice on soldering, welding and brazing
- Diagnose different types of circuits
- Cleaning and topping up lead battery
- Identification of different type of vehicles
- Plant training
Career prospects and job opportunities
ITI Mechanic Agricultural Machinery course passed students have diverse job opportunities available in front of them. Government jobs, private sector jobs and self-employment – these are the well known job opportunities available in front of them.
Common job profiles related to this trade are –
- Agricultural mechanic
- Tractor mechanic
- Auto fitter
- Sales assistant (equipment, machinery and spare parts)
- Dealers service mechanic